The design of the system is presented from a number of different viewpoints. There is no specific ordering of these viewpoints, they simply present different aspects of the design of system.
- Logical: The conceptual aspects of the system, uncluttered by deployment or target platform issues.
- Physical: The physical, tangible, aspects of the system. I.e. what can be picked up and touched.
- Deployment: How does the Logical map to the Physical.
- Implementation: This viewpoint focuses on the organization of artefacts that are stored and need to be configuration controlled, e.g. source files, folders, binaries, config files, etc.
- Runtime: The viewpoint focuses on the objects that exist or are constructed at/during runtime, i.e. whilst the system is operating.