I am attempting to provide a cloud based IDE for DSLs. The first question is where to start from. There are many great Cloud-IDEs out there, but they are all aimed at supporting various programming environments. For DSL support, I want to find something that is minimal, that I can subsequently add to with DSL extensions.
My requirements would be:
- Minimal starting point (similar to creating an Eclipse RCP)
- Plugin architecture
- Preference for ability to use Java in plugins
- Open Source (of course!)
I have investigated the following as possible starting points, details are in separate posts (follow the links), but a brief summary is included here:
- Cloud 9
- Widely used
- Potential problem with the open source licence, currently unsure if I can legally use it!
- Eclipse-Che / Codenvy
- GWT and Java based
- Runs in its own tomcat (! what…ridiculous!..but I have attempted to get round this)
- Complex to reduce to a minimal IDE
- OSGI at the server
- Complex to minimise
- not that easy to add plugins
- php based
- simplest starting point
- plugins are easy
- needs a php-java bridge to execute java
- Can run it in tomcat with a little persuasion
- tomcat 8 requires quercus war (for php interpretation) – which has GPL licence.